The Treaty & Māori Health
This module provides an understanding of the Treaty of Waitangi and the principles of the Treaty within the context of New Zealand healthcare. This module also provides an understanding of cultural diversity in New Zealand.
Māori are the Indigenous people of New Zealand and have the greatest health disparities across a wide range of health indicators in New Zealand. By the end of this module participants will be able to:
- Understand the significant impact that the Treaty of Waitangi and Te Tiriti Waitangi has had on the health of Māori.
- Explain and demonstrate a common understanding of the Treaty of Waitangi – it’s historical context and principals.
- Identify the articles of the Treaty of Waitangi, and describe key principles.
- Recognise the effects on Maori communities and Maori health status from historical policies.
- Describe ways that participants could implement healthcare principles consistent with the Treaty of Waitangi.
Maori History & Health
Click the button below to access documents which provide extra readings for your information and are directly related to this module.